Weber Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill 22 Review
We receive free products to review and participate in affiliate programs. See our disclosure page for more information.
Don't we all love the smoked-flavored, delicious food we get from cooking with a charcoal grill? Very few things compare to the experience of searing meat or grilling burgers over an open fire. With the Weber Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill series, you get to enjoy that smoky, tender taste.
We've put together a review of the Weber 22" Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill. Take a look at the grill's unique features and all you need to know about the very first kettle charcoal grill. You can choose to read through the guide or jump to the end for a quick summary.
Why Choose the Weber Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill 22"?
The Original Kettle grill is more than your average BBQs, giving you the nostalgic smell of authentic charcoal grilling. It boasts of upgraded features, such as the One-Touch cleaning system, that gives you an unforgettable grilling experience. The grill maintains the originality of the first kettle grill while incorporating modern technologies.
Who Do We Think Matches with Weber Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill 22"?
- Natural Charcoal Flavor Lovers: Charcoal grill lovers would swear charcoal grilling adds some magical juicy taste to their food. The Weber Kettle Charcoal Grill allows you to enjoy a wide range of distinct natural flavors. From briquettes to hickory; mesquite to oak – you can choose from a variety of wood flavors.
- Grilling Beginners: The 22" Weber Kettle is excellent for those trying their hands-on grilling for the first time. With its simple features, you don't get yourself battling with complicated equipment.
- Folks Who Want More for Less: The Weber Original Premium Kettle offers you cooking versatility, just like larger models. Its 363 square inches cooking space can fit 13 burgers on the grill's steel cooking grate.
Possible Weber Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill 22" Complaints
- Wobbly Legs: The Weber Kettle Grill might have durable wheels, but it's not the sturdiest of grills. Its wobbly legs can be disturbing, especially when the grill is loaded with food. The problem comes from the sockets where the legs are attached.
- Lid Doesn't Sit Well: Placing the lid or cover over the grill can be challenging. When you eventually get that right, there's a likelihood of knocking it off the next minute. Also, the lid hook's placement makes it impossible to hang the lid while cooking.
Company Headquarters: Palatine, Illinois, United States
Weber was born in 1952 by George Stephen, following his passion for grilling the best steaks. Several decades after, Weber continues to hold to its mantra of "a grill like no other. With a series of grills and accessories rolled out, Weber leads the charge in outdoor cooking equipment.
The brand's Original Kettle Series follows after the tradition of innovation and quality. Today, the kettle grill that started it all has been equipped with the One-Touch cleaning system. Yet, you get to enjoy the originality of charcoal grilling to its very roots.
First Impression: How Does It Look Like?
The Weber Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill 22" is a small, but powerful piece of equipment. Measuring 39.5 x 22.5 x 27 inches, you'll be amazed by its ample cooking space. It gives you the same versatility you would get with a larger grill.
You will find its 7-inch porcelain-enameled lid on top. Below the cover is an impressive 363 square inches of cooking area and a hinged plated-steel cooking grate. While black seems to be the most popular color, the grill is also available in crimson, green, and copper.
A good grill comes with a feeling of reliability and strength. That's precisely what you get with Weber Original Kettle at first glance. After a period of use, you'll be more than convinced of its originality and performance.
- One-Touch Cleaning System: Do you want a grill that offers a hassle-free cleaning process? The Weber Kettle 22" Grill has a one-touch cleaning system that makes that possible. Its high-capacity ash catcher can hold a lot of ash and debris you swipe down.
- Precision Heat Control: The grill's dampers allow you to adjust the temperature without raising the lid. To put off the coals, all you need do is shut the dampers. So there's a wide range of heat to cook a variety of food.
- Hinged Cooking Grate: For many charcoal grill owners, adding coals while cooking is usually challenging. The Weber Original Kettle Grill solves that by incorporating a hinged cooking grate. That way, you can quickly replenish your fuel without sweating.
- Heat Shields: While cooking, your lid handle usually takes all the heat. The heat shields on the Weber Kettle prevent that from happening, making it easier to lift the lid.
- Lid Thermometer: If you want to know how hot your grill is, the lid thermometer helps. However, its position above the grates means you might not get the actual temperature reading.
- Lid Hook: The grill has an angled hook to save you the stress of placing the lid on the ground. The placement of the lid on the hook can be difficult and inconvenient.
- Durable Wheels: One of the most loved things about Weber Kettle Grill is its reliable wheels. The sturdy wheels make it easy to move the grill around the backyard.
The Weber Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill 22" has a simple and compact design. It needs only a small space in your yard to change your outdoor kitchen experience. From its corrosion-resistant aluminum damper to its plated-steel cooking grate, the grate appears durable.
The grill has a lightweight construction and rests on three legs, making it easy to move about. Stronger and bigger wheels on the Kettle Grill will make it more convenient for tailgating. Overall, it's a piece of dependable equipment that will last you for years.
For its small size, the Weber Original Kettle 22" Charcoal Grill is unbelievably efficient. Regardless of the food – burgers, chickens, or steaks – the grill can cook it. By adjusting the dampers, you can have a wide range of cooking temperatures.
The grill's plated steel grate retains enough heat and allows for easy refueling. The porcelain-enameled lid helps in maintaining a constant temperature. Once you master the heat control system, you are good to go.
Cleaning and Maintenance: 4.5/5
The most remarkable feature – probably – about this grill model is its ease of cleaning. The easily-removable ash catcher traps the ash that could have made cleanup messier. You can easily empty the ash into the tray without spilling.
Cleaning the grates requires scraping the hot grates with a bristle-free brush. Oiling your food before placing them on the grates is an excellent way to reduce the workload after. Compared to other grills in its category, Weber Kettle scores high in cleaning and maintenance.
Warranties and Shipping
Warranty: The bowl, lid, and center ring have a warranty of 10 years; the one-touch cleaning system has a warranty of 5 years, and other parts have a warranty of 2 years.
Shipping: The grill can be shipped only within the United States. International shipping is not yet available.
Similar Grills to Consider
- Weber Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill 26
This grill is a 26-inch version of the 22" Weber Original Premium Kettle Charcoal Grill. It's a good alternative for those who want with a bigger grill.
- Weber Original Kettle Charcoal Grill 18
Another related kettle charcoal grill, it offers similar features to the 22-inch original model. It’s a smaller and more portable grill.
Weber Original Kettle Premium 22" Charcoal Grill guarantees you the second-to-none taste of charcoal-grilled food. Although it's a piece of portable equipment, its large cooking space can grill 13 burgers. It's a perfect grill for those who want an inexpensive grill without compromising efficiency.
One thing you'd surely love about this original kettle grill is the one-touch cleaning system. Instead of having the ashes spilling over the grill, the large-capacity ash try collects them. This easy cleanup feature saves you time and energy on cleaning.
Is there anything to consider before placing an order? The grill wheels on three legs that can become shaky when loaded. Also, the lid hook isn't positioned correctly, leading to an obstruction when the lid is placed on it.
Overall, the Weber Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill 22" is remarkable and efficient. Made of durable materials, you can rest assured of a reliable grilling companion for several years.