Weber Original Kettle Charcoal Grill 18" Review
We receive free products to review and participate in affiliate programs. See our disclosure page for more information.
For optimal grilling experience, you need a grill that is convenient and holds up pretty well for years. The Weber Original Kettle Charcoal Grill 18" is a backyard kitchen essential, made for the best grilling memories.
This review of the 18-inch Weber Original Kettle Charcoal Grill covers its features, design, performance, and possible complaints. You can read all the details or scroll to the bottom for our verdict.
Is the 18-Inch Weber Original Kettle Charcoal Grill a Good Choice?
The Weber 18” Original Kettle is a classic grill that gives you the original charcoal flavor. It makes a perfect fit for those who desire a less cumbersome grill, with top-quality features and performance.
Who Do We Think Matches with the Weber Original Kettle Charcoal Grill 18"?
- Those Looking for a Top-Quality Charcoal Grill: The grill cooks pretty well and fast, bringing the best taste out of your food. Its porcelain-enameled bowl retains and evenly distributes heat to give you healthier meals. The plated steel grate allows for consistent grilling, giving you a grill that performs optimally.
- Folks Who Want a Convenient and Budget Design: The Weber 18-inch Kettle has a lightweight design that perfectly fits small patios and decks. Its simplistic design makes it an excellent option for outdoor cooking and camping. Besides, the fantastic price is a complete steal, and you get to enjoy the same efficiency as with larger grills.
- Singles, and a Small Family or Group: Regardless of how great a kettle charcoal grill is, it has to serve your grilling purpose. The 18-inch Weber Original Kettle Charcoal Grill is adequate for a maximum of 4 people. For a cooking need that involves more than four people, you need a bigger grill.
Possible Weber Original Kettle Charcoal Grill 18” Complaints
- Ashtray Could Be Better: The ash from the grill collects in the removable ashtray for easy cleanup. However, removing the ashtray can be a challenge and often ends up in a mess.
- High Fuel Consumption: To supply enough heat to the 249 square inches of grill space, you need to load equipment with enough charcoal. This can amount to a waste of fuel when cooking a small amount of food.
Company Headquarters: Palatine, Illinois
The company was founded by George Stephen when he invented the famous kettle charcoal grill in 1952. George made this revolutionary invention while working for the Weber Brothers Metal Works in Chicago. He got inspiration from the shape of a buoy, which he cut in two, added three legs to the bottom, and a handle to the top to create the first kettle charcoal grill.
Since its inception, Weber has upheld a legacy of quality and innovation. Decades after, the company ranks as a leader in the grill equipment industry. The Kettle Charcoal Grill 18" is an upgrade of Weber’s original grill renowned for durability and efficiency.
First Impression: How Does It Look Like?
The grill has a sturdy design and is big enough to grill for an entire family or a small group of friends. It conveniently rolls into storage in your shade or on a patio. The surface of the grate has a high temperature resistance, allowing you to grill directly or indirectly.
The Weber Kettle can retain heat for continuous grilling with proper grate marks. You can control the temperature to any desired degree without taking off the lid. All you need to do is close the dampers to stop airflow, and the coals will extinguish to your desired level.
There is a lid-hook to hang the lid on the side of the grill, so you don't need somewhere to keep it while grilling. Sturdy and durable wheels let you move it around even with food in it.
- Generous Cooking Area: While this kettle charcoal grill is not a good fit for a large family or group, it surely offers an ample cooking space for up to 4 people. You can fit three good-sized rib eyes with some safe zone left. If you don’t intend to cook for a large party, this Kettle Charcoal Grill should give enough room for your needs.
- Sturdy Wheels: You want to move your Kettle Charcoal Grill around without stress? This Charcoal Grill has solid wheels to help you do that. Without them, it would be a feat to move your Kettle even by a few yards.
- One-Push Cleaning Feature: You can easily and quickly empty the ash with the simple one-touch cleaning system. This saves you the stress and mess usually associated with charcoal grill cleanup. The cleaning system has an ash catcher that traps all the ash and debris you swipe off the equipment.
- Robust Design: Overall, the grill has a solid build, holds well, and the legs are sturdy. Its spherical shape is great for maximizing heat, although it's difficult to ascertain if that's an edge over flat burners. The grill was built by Weber to last you a lifetime.
- Excellent Temperature Control: Grills cook by burning charcoal to release heat that moves towards the grates. The charcoal burns with more intensity as oxygen enters through the bottom vent into the grill, and smoke pushed out the top vent.
The right kettle charcoal grill should have a temperature control system that regulates the amount of oxygen, smoke, and pressure in the grill. Thankfully, the Weber Kettle I8" Grill allows you to control the temperature by adjusting the dampers.
- Mobility and Easy Storage: Not only does Weber have sturdy wheels for mobility, but it’s also specially designed for small storage space. You can make quick meals in your yard, take it to camp, or carry it on a trip.
This Weber kettle charcoal grill comes with a simple yet exceptionally reliable and convenient design. The shape of the porcelain-enameled steel bowl increases heat circulation inside the grill. To ensure proper heat resistance, the bowl coating is baked to some 1500 F, making it rust-resistant also.
With the dampers, you can control heat within the grill without opening the lid. The grill increases temperature when you open the damper, and the heat subsides when you close the damper. The heat-resistant grate is a heavy-duty plated steel and can fit up to nine burgers.
Equipped with a one-touch cleaning system, getting rid of ash and charcoal debris has never been easier. Without a doubt, the Weber Original Kettle Charcoal Grill 18" has a top-quality design and construction that can serve for years.
The Weber Original Kettle 18” Charcoal Grill kettle charcoal grill is a piece of perfectly fine cooking equipment. It is great for small to medium capacity cooking, allowing you to cook a variety of meals. The heat control system means you can choose to smoke a steak in low heat or steak it in high heat.
Just like other Weber grill models, this 18-inch Kettle produces an exceptional cooking experience. The fact that cleanup is a walk in the park allows you to focus on the recipes rather than the equipment.
Cleaning and Maintenance: 4.7/5
Cleaning is easier and more convenient with the one-touch cleaning system. The aluminum ashtray at the bottom of the grill holds the ash produced while cooking. Although some users have some challenges removing the ashtray, it’s still a beneficial addition to the Weber Charcoal Grill.
Warranties and Shipping
- Warranty: Weber offers warranties between 2 – 5 years for their products. The warranties cover a range of parts like lids, cook-boxes, plastic components, and others.
- Shipping: The item can only be shipped within the United States.
Similar Grills to Consider
1. Weber Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill 26"
This original kettle premium charcoal grill spans a remarkable 508 square inches of cooking space. It has all the features of the 18" Weber Original Kettle Charcoal Grill but for the size which requires more storage space than the former.
2. Weber Original Kettle Grill Premium 22"
This kettle grill costs about $50 more than the non-premium version. It has extra features like hinged grates for easy access to coal.
In summary, this is a beautiful piece offered at a give-away price. It packs all the wonderful features of a quality kettle charcoal grill. Save for the limited cooking space; it’s a perfect fit for your backyard kitchen.
The Weber 18” Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill is portable equipment, with minimal design. It is made of high-quality steel and coating, easy to assemble and use, and is designed to last a lifetime. You can't go wrong with the Weber Original Kettle Charcoal Grill 18".