Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet Grill Review
We receive free products to review and participate in affiliate programs. See our disclosure page for more information.
Are you a beginner looking for a grill for the first time? Or, looking to upgrade from your old one? A perfect grill that offers easy temperature controls, automatic features, and generous cooking space can work for both. One such option is the Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet Grill.
Be it a beginner or an expert, anyone can easily use this grill for cooking up some restaurant-quality juicy meat in no time.
Don’t believe us? Keep reading to find out everything you need to know about the Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet Grill. Then decide for yourself.
Why Choose the Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet Grill
With precise temperature controls, an automatic auger, all-terrain wheels to move the 100-pound grill anywhere, and a sturdy build, you can easily use the Traeger Pro Series 22 as a grill, smoker, or oven anytime you like.
Who Do We Think Matches With the Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet Grill
- Experimenters: The Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet Grill offers quite a bit of versatility. Since it has precise temperature control and a broad temperature range, you can easily convert it into a smoker or even an oven and experiment with different cooking styles. Moreover, you can experiment with the types of wood pellets you use as those impart their flavor on the food.
- Beginners: Unlike charcoal grills that require some expertise and skill, anyone can handle this pellet grill from Traeger. There’s not a lot to do. You can even place your food on the grill and forget about it for a while. The digital controller and automatic auger take care of the rest. Additionally, after you’re done cooking, cleaning up the whole thing is pretty simple and straightforward too.
Possible Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet Grill Complaints
As much as we love the Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet Grill, we can’t claim it to be 100% perfect. It does have a drawback that we found to be a little inconvenient.
- Limited Portability: The grill has a digital controller for moving the auger and feeding the pellets, and therefore it requires electricity. This means, wherever you decide to place the grill, there has to be a power outlet nearby. Moreover, you can only move the grill as far as you can maintain that power connection.
Company Headquarters: Salt Lake City, Utah
Phone: 1(800) 872-3437
Founded in 1985 by Joe Traeger and credited for inventing the first wood-fired grill, Traeger has become a leading expert in pellet grills. Having spent decades perfecting their grill, today, they offer a pellet grill that will give you exceptional performance and consistent results.
Moreover, Traeger now offers a much broader product range, including wood pellets, BBQ tools, grill covers, and other grilling accessories. Aside from this Pro Series 22 Pellet Grill, they've also introduced the Ironwood and Timberline series, which make grilling an experience in itself.
Straight out of the box, you have the grill and an owner’s manual. Besides the meat probes and drip bucket, the grill comes in several separate parts, such as the cookbox, chimney, stand, auger system, hopper, etc.
Using the assembly guide in the owner’s manual, you can assemble the pellet grill easily and quickly. Available in bronze and blue, the Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet Grill is a sight to behold.
It’s got that classic barrel shape along with that old school chimney on the side. The sawhorse chassis beneath is as sturdy as it looks and will keep the grill upright even as you move it here and there.
Moreover, the smooth finishing on top feels as if it’ll withstand any erosion or harsh weather. Of course, by now, you just want to start grilling up your favorite meat.
However, whenever you get a new grill, it’s essential to clean it properly and let it burn for half an hour or so as a burning-in period.
- Digital Controller: The digital controller and automatic auger system are the star features of this pellet grill. Together, they allow you to prepare the tastiest, juiciest, and most delicious BBQ without having to stand over the grill the whole time. All you have to do is set your desired temperature, and the controller manages the pellets and airflow to maintain that temperature within a difference of 15 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Consistency: One of the best things about this pellet grill, and about Traeger, is that it has consistency. No one wants a grill that performs great the first few times but starts having problems afterward. That’s why this pellet grill from Traeger ensures consistent temperature control, precise cooking, and the best results every time.
- Large Hopper: The grill comes with a large hopper with an 18-pounds capacity. Once you fill it to the brim, you can forget about refilling for a while. Depending on how hot your grill is running, a full hopper can last you anywhere between 6 and 18 hours.
- Sawhorse Chassis: With that big of a grill, you might be constantly worried about it toppling over. However, you need not be as this grill comes with a sturdy and stable sawhorse chassis.
Even as you’re assembling it or simply moving the grill around, you’ll find it stable and grounded, without any wobbling.
- Versatility: If you like grilling as well as smoking, baking, roasting, etc., but don’t want a separate appliance for everything, this pellet grill is for you. Its precise and broad temperature controls make it easy to use in several different ways. From steaks to apple pies, it can do it all.
- Ease of Use: The Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet Grill is also super easy to use. From assembling it the first time to cleaning it after a cookout, everything is simple and straightforward. The controls are easy to understand and manage. You don’t need any special skills or expertise to run the grill.
- Cooking Area: If you like hosting big BBQ parties, you’ll need something that can feed an entire neighborhood. Thankfully, the Traeger pellet grill comes with a large cooking area. The main cooking rack measures 418 square inches while an additional 154-square inch rack brings the total cooking area to 572 square inches. You can cook around four chickens, five rib racks, or 24 burgers at a time.
- All-Terrain Wheels: If you have a power connection available, you can easily move the 103-pound grill around with its all-terrain wheels. The wheels are designed to go over rocks, dirt, or any rough surface without any damage.
The Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet Grill has a robust steel construction that doesn’t seem like it’ll give away any time soon. Moreover, instead of the typical paint, the top of the grill has a powder coat finish.
This holds well even in the heat to keep your grill looking shiny and new for a long time. Weighing 103 pounds, the grill is quite heavy, but the all-terrain wheels make it easy to move around.
Between the digital controller ensuring precise temperatures and the consistent results, you get amazing performance from this grill. The versatility and ease of use allow you to perfect your BBQing skills and cook the tastiest food every time.
Furthermore, since the grill uses wood pellets, it infuses an additional smoky flavor in the food for even more taste.
Cleaning and Maintenance: 4/5
Inside the grill, you’ll find porcelain grill grates which are not just great for even cooking, but are quite easy to clean as well. You can simply wipe it with a cloth, and it’ll be clean.
Additionally, the drip pan and drip bucket collect all the excess oil and fat, so you don’t have to worry about that either. Other than that, the chimney and lid can produce a tar-like build up over time, which can simply be cleaned with soap and water.
Warranties & Shipping
- Warranty: Traeger offers a three-year warranty on their grill for any workmanship or material defects.
- Shipping: Currently, Traeger only ships its products within the continental US and to Alaska.
The Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet Grill is a brilliant grill for satisfying all your BBQ cravings and more. Whether you’re just starting out or a pro in grilling, you will find this grill extremely useful and convenient.
The digital controller not only allows you to set the temperature and go, but also, offers versatility and lots of chances to experiment. The sturdy build ensures a durable and long-lasting piece of equipment. Most importantly, you can expect consistent taste and excellent performance every time.