Char-Griller E16620 Akorn Kamado Charcoal Grill Review
We receive free products to review and participate in affiliate programs. See our disclosure page for more information.
So much is said of charcoal grills and all the benefits you stand to gain from using a good one. Claims about excellent flavor with charcoal grills are correct, and that’s why they’re so popular.
The Char-Griller E16620 Akorn Kamado Charcoal Grill has many features that make it an excellent choice for grilling on charcoal fire. You’ll soon learn the features in addition to possible complaints that a user might have. You can also skip right to the end of this article to learn about this product at a glance. I, however, encourage you to read on.
Why Choose the Char-Griller E16620 Akorn Kamado Charcoal Grill, Graphite?
This depends on the reason you want to buy a grill and what exactly you are looking for. If you want the excellent smoked flavor that charcoal grills offer, and you’re okay with a 90-pound wheeled charcoal grill, then you can’t go wrong buying the Char-Griller E16620 Akorn Kamado Charcoal Grill.
It has a design that accommodates every critical feature of a grill for preparing delicious meals.
Who Should Buy the Char-Griller E16620 Akorn Kamado Charcoal Grill, Graphite?
- Lovers of Grilled Foods: There is plenty of outdoor cooking gear on the market. That’s because people love the exclusive taste of most grilled foods. The demand for products that unleash the best flavor of food will continue to grow. And this charcoal grill is just one such. The Char-Griller E16620 Akorn Kamado Charcoal Grill is among the best options to consider if you love grilled food and want the best flavor.
- People Who Prefer Charcoal Grills: The reason our market is flooded with different types of grills is because of the difference in food quality and operation of the grill. While charcoal grills generally cost plenty less than their gas counterparts, many prefer charcoal for cleaning and maintenance, hazards, fuel cost, and other factors, not necessarily the price.
- Grilled-Food Lovers on a Budget: Regardless of how much you like a high-end grill, you need money to have one. Charcoal grills sell for less despite delivering excellent service.
- Lovers of Kamado Designs: Charcoal grills generally feature three designs with the Kamado design having a higher preference with buyers. Kamado designs have a deep-barrel design that directs heat toward a narrower surface, making Kamado grills suitable for both searing and slow-cooking.
Possible Drawbacks of the Char-Griller E16620 Akorn Kamado Charcoal Grill, Graphite
- Stand Could Be Sturdier: The stand is undoubtedly strong enough to support the grill during everyday use, but if you plan to move the grill a lot, you might consider buying a more expensive grill with sturdier support from the same manufacturer. However, the average user shouldn’t have any problems with the stand.
- Heavy to Carry: This Char-Griller Akorn Kamado Charcoal Grill weighs up to 90 pounds, making it quite a challenge to haul around. But with the high lockable wheels, it shouldn’t be difficult to move within the house. However, if you are looking for a lightweight charcoal grill, this might not be a suitable option.
A “Georgia Brother and Sister” are the founders and owners of the Char-Griller company. The company has managed to build a reputation over the years of producing outdoor cooking gear of the highest quality by industry standard. Their innovative designs also sell relatively cheap so that every household can afford to buy one. Char-Griller aims to make outdoor cooking gear cheap enough for everyone to enjoy grilled food. The company also manufactures a range of cooking equipment and accessories, including kettles, Dual Fuel Grillers, Kamado Grills, and many more.
Company Headquarters: Atlanta, Georgia
First Impression: What Does It Look Like?
The immediate impression you get studying this grill is that of convenience, durability, and efficiency. The sturdiness of design is evident from mere physical observation, and the price is relatively cheap. The presence of a temperature gauge implies the freedom to adjust the heat level for proper cooking.
The wheels and high stands mean the grill is portable, though you could see from the bowl’s thickness that it has significant weight. The side-shelves, removable warming rack, and customizable air vents all make the Char-Griller Akorn Kamado Charcoal Grill particularly attractive. The thick walls and tight construction gives you confidence that this grill has excellent heat retention ability.
- Effortless Temperature Control: There are top and bottom dampers for controlling the in-flow and outflow of air to increase or reduce the temperature. The ability to control a grill’s temperature is essential because it allows you to cook different foods at their suitable temperatures. This way, you get the best flavor out of your dish. You could cook anything within 200 – 700 degrees Fahrenheit. Adjust the top dampers to set the desired temperature, and the temperature will remain where you set it. The grill is so well insulated that you can rest your hands on the bowl without injuring yourself even when the interior is sweltering.
- Large Locking Wheels: For smooth movement and security, the Char-Griller Akorn Kamado Charcoal Grill has 8-inch sturdy wheels that provide stability. Being portable with wheels sure makes this grill an excellent choice for barbecue lovers.
- Vast Cooking Space: For the Char-Griller Akorn Kamado Charcoal Grill, being compact does not compromise cooking space. The design is compact and still offers a generous cooking space to make enough grillers for a family. It has 447 square-inches of cooking space, with a 133 square-inch of removable warming rack.
- Durable Construction: Every material used in the construction of this grill is of the highest standard and will last. The grill design instills confidence in its durability and proper functionality throughout its lifespan. The steel, porcelain coating, and power prevents rust, withstand pressure and heat, and makes cleaning the grill very easy.
- Built-In Temperature Gauge: The temperature gauge lets you monitor the heat level as you cook. Different foods cook best at different temperatures, and the ability to measure and adjust the temperature of your grill is crucial to achieving the best flavor and proper cooking.
- Kamado-style Grilling: Kamado grills are known to possess excellent heat insulation and circulation qualities that make grilling any kind of food a memorable experience. But the disadvantage with purely Kamado grills is that they are made of ceramic and generally very heavy. Realizing that people would like to have a less heavy grill with similar cooking qualities as the Kamado, manufacturers like Char-Griller have come up with innovative designs to offer the Kamado experience plus plenty of convenience features. Such is the Char-Griller Akorn Kamado Charcoal Grill.
- Sturdy Steel Construction: The Char-Griller Akorn Kamado Charcoal Grill has an exterior finished with powder for easy cleaning and rust prevention. The interior is porcelain-coated steel that retains heat and smoke and distributes evenly across the grilling space.
- Fuel Efficiency: With inferior grills, you have to use more charcoal than usual for preparing a single meal. Wasting charcoal fuel can be a result of leakage or poor design. This Char-Griller Akorn Kamado Charcoal Grill, however, lets you cook plenty with little charcoal by retaining and insulating air and smoke for an extended period. Much of the heat is directed to your searing meat, which makes it cook faster.
- Plenty of Convenience Features: Two folding side-shelves provide extra space with hooks for keeping or hanging your grilling utensils or preps. You won’t have to look around for where to keep things as you grill. The shelves make cooking convenient by letting you easily organize everything you need in one place. It also has an easy-to-clean ashtray, which saves you the trouble of getting a bucket and cleaning tool or even soiling your hands with ash and charcoal. There is also the removable warming rack that covers the cast-iron grilling space. It’s also straightforward to assemble following the detailed manual.
The Char-Griller E16620 Akorn Kamado Charcoal Grill has a barrel-like design that maximizes the amount of heat reaching the cooking surface, and this makes it ideal for searing. It’s sturdy and made of high-quality material with a smooth finish for easy cleaning and rust resistance. It has wheels, a high stand, an in-built thermometer, and air-vents for controlling temperatures.
It performs excellently as long as effective grilling is your main objective. With the ability to generate up to 700 degrees Fahrenheit of heat, the Char-Griller E16620 Akorn Kamado Charcoal Grill allows you to cook any kind of food.
Cleaning and Maintenance: 4.2/5
It’s a breeze to clean. With a large ashtray that you could easily remove and replace, getting rid of ash couldn’t be easier. The large ashtray is capable of containing ash from burning down a full load of charcoal. That means you won’t need to dump ash too often.
Warranty and Shipping
- Warranty: Charcoal Grills by Char-Griller have warranties that cover certain parts of the grill. The warranty is valid to the original purchaser and ranges from 1 to 5 years, depending on the part. To qualify for a claim, you need to present a dated receipt of purchase and the manual. Check the manual for a more detailed explanation of warranties.
- Shipping: Amazon ships this grill to many countries around the world, but there is shipping fee and custom charges where applicable. How much you pay depends on your location and the import laws of your country.
Similar Char-Grill Charcoal Grills to Consider
1. AKORN Kamado Charcoal Grill with Cart
The Akorn Kamado Charcoal Grill with cart is a perfect substitute for the Char-Griller Akorn Kamado Charcoal Grill. Both grills share similar characteristics based on quality, material, design, and extra features for convenience. However, they differ in the convenience aspect: the one has a cart, and the other has shelves. AKORN Kamado Charcoal Grill with Cart has enough space for 27 burgers.
2. Ceramic Arkon Kamado Charcoal Grill
The Ceramic Arkon Kamado Charcoal Grill can also be a perfect replacement for the Char-Griller Akorn Kamado Charcoal Grill. The significant difference between the two is that the Ceramic Arkon Kamado Charcoal Grill is made of ceramic and, therefore, weighs heavier. The Ceramic Arkon Kamado Charcoal Grill is also very efficient and convenient for cooking, only that it’s not the best option for portability.
The Char-Griller E16620 Akorn Kamado Charcoal Grill is a highly efficient and valuable craft for charcoal grilling. Being able to monitor and alter the cooking temperature of your grill is key to preparing the best meals. Plus, this grill has a wide temperature range to cook within. It is mobile and has a large cooking area for several people. Topping these many fun features is the ridiculously low price it sells for.